Print
History

From KYIVSTRUM to KYIVENERGO: history in figures and facts

Kyivstrum State-Owned Joint Stock Company was created on April 30, 1930.

1930. The first unit of the KRES having the capacity of 21,300 kW was put into operation on May 1. The voltage of 11 kV was applied on the generators of the heat power plants of the KRES for the first time in the former USSR.

1931. Creation of the Office for power stations and networks of the Western part of the Ukrainian SSR (Zukrenergo) that included all the power facilities of Kyivstrum State-Owned Joint Stock Company.

1932. After reorganization Zukrenergo was renamed as Kyivenergo Power Enterprise.

1934. Kyivenergo Power Enterprise was reorganized into Kyivenergo District Power Office.

1935. The 2nd stage of the KRES (a turbogenerator having the capacity of 25,000 kW) was put into operation. The capacity of the plant reached 45,300 kW. Commissioning of the 1st stage of Heat and Power Plant 3, the first Kyiv heat and power plant having a turbogenerator of 12,000 kW and a heat removal of 32.5 Gcal/h.

1936. Commissioning of Heat and Power Plant 3 (the present ST 1) that had domestically manufactured equipment and the capacity of 12,000 kW.

1937. Completion of the construction of the 2nd stage of Heat and Power Plant 3. The capacity of the plant grew up to 36,000 kW. The first building housing the Ministry of State Farms (37 Lenina Street (the present Bogdana Khmelnytskogo Street) was connected to the heating main pipeline of Kyivenergo (main pipeline No. 2).

1939. Commissioning of the 3rd stage of the KRES having a turbogenerator of 25,000 kW. The total capacity of the plant reached 70,300 kW.

1940. Consumers of heat from the Heat and Power Plant began to receive hot water for meeting everyday needs.

1941. Commissioning of a turbounit having the capacity of 24,000 kW at Heat and Power Plant 3. The capacity of the plant reached 60,000 kW. In this period, the length of the city heating network was 23 km and 160 consumers were connected to them. The thermal capacity was equal to 55 Gcal/h. The capacity of the Kyiv power system was 120MW.

1941. After the beginning of the Great Patriotic War the main equipment of the KRES, Heat and Power Plant 3 and the power networks and a part of employees and their families were evacuated to the east of the country.

1943. The restoration of the power system began after the liberation of Kyiv from the German occupants. The first restored diesel generator having the capacity of 300 kW began to operate at Shevchenkivskyi DMS.

1945. The first restored unit was put into operation at Heat and Power Plant 3. The capacity of the power system was 35,900 kW.

1949. The capacity, the production volume and the technoeconomic parameters exceeded the level of the pre-war year 1940. The installed capacity of the system was 125,000 kW. Creation of Kyivenergoremont.

1950. Commissioning of the first cable networks of 35kV.

1951. Beginning of the construction of the Darnytsia Heat and Power Plant. The third high-pressure unit having the capacity of 30,000 kW was put into service at Hydropower Station 2. The installed capacity of the system was 155,100 kW.

1952. After new equipment was put into operation at Heat and Power Plant 3, the capacity of the plant grew up to 62,000 kW. The installed capacity of the plants belonging to the system was equal to 180,800 kW.

1954. Commissioning of the first stage of the Darnytsia Heat and Power Plant having the capacity of 50 MW. At that time, it was one of the biggest and best Heat and Power Plants in the former USSR. A water-cooling tower of precast concrete was assembled at the Darnytsia Heat and Power Plant for the first time in the former USSR.

1957. Kyiv, Zhytomyr, Cherkasy and Chernihiv regional power grids were included in the Kyiv power system. The first Kyiv-Kremenchuk 330 kV aerial circuit was commissioned. It allowed to join the Kyiv and Dnieper systems for a parallel operation. Beginning of the construction of the Kyiv hydraulic power cascade.

1961. The Kyiv power system was connected to the high-voltage network of the European part of the USSR through the Southern power system by means of a 330 kW KremGESZhovtneva high-voltage line.

1962. Creation of the Ukrainian SSR Ministry of Energy and Electrification.

1964. The Chrkasy and Uman power systems were included in the Kyiv power system in connection with the liquidation of the Cherkasy Council of National Economy. Commissioning of a 220kV transmission line. Commissioning of a number of 110kV transmission lines. Beginning of the construction of the Trypilska DRES. The installed capacity of the power plants of the system grew up to 681,000 kW. Commissioning of the Kyiv Hydraulic Power Plant. The full capacity of the reservoir of the Kyiv Hydraulic Power Plant was 3.73 km and the useful capacity was 1.17 km.

1966. Commissioning of PT6090/13 turbounit No. 3 having the capacity of 60,000 kW at the Cherkasy Heat and Power Plant. Connection with Vinnytsiaenergo (Burshtyn DRES) by means 330 kV transmission lines. 8 substations having the voltage of 35 kV were shifted to the voltage of 110 kV.

1968. Kyiv Hydraulic Power Plant reached its full capacity of 361 MW.

1967. Completion of uniting all Ukrainian power systems by means of 220-330 kV aerial circuits. It increased the reliability of the power supply to consumers. Commissioning of 6 units having the total capacity of 111 MW at the Kyiv Hydraulic Power Plant, a PT6090/13 turbogenerator of 60 MW at the Cherkasy Heat and Power Plant, and 2 PTVM100 water-heating boilers at the Darnytsia Heat and Power Plant. Nyvky District Boiler was transferred to Kyivenergo. Beginning of the construction of Kyiv Heat and Power Plant No. 5. 4 units having the capacity of 74 MW were put into operation at the Kyiv Hydraulic Power Plant.

1969. A power generating unit with 2-body boilers having the capacity of 300 MW and consuming both solid fuel and natural gas was put into operation at the Trypilska DRES for the first time in the former USSR. By the end of the year, they supplied electric power to 89% of localities of four regions (Zhytomyr, Kyiv, Chernigiv and Cherkasy regions), 94% of the total number of collective farms and 95% of state farms. The installed capacity of the power plants of the system was 1,116.8 MW. A capacity reserve of 41,000 kW was obtained in the power system for the first time.

1970. Commissioning of three power generating units having the capacity of 300 MW each at the Trypilska DRES. The installed capacity of the plants belonging to the power system was 2,008 MW and the capacity reserve in the system increased up to 53.3 MW. Commissioning of the Kyiv Storage Plant that was the first in the former USSR.

1972. The capacity of 225 MW was reached. The full reservoir capacity was 0.0046 km and the useful one was 0.041 km. Beginning of the construction of the Chornobyl Nuclear Power Station. Extention of 330 and 110 kV substations.

1971. Load was supplied to the first turbogenerator having the capacity of 60 MW at the Bila Tserkva Heat and Power Plant. Power unit No. 1 having the capacity of 100 MW and the thermal power of 160 Gcal/h and a PTVM 180 water-heating boiler were commissioned at Kyiv Heat and Power Plant No. 5 for the first time in Ukraine.

1976. The station reached the design capacity of 700 MW.

1972. The rural power grids of Kyiv, Zhytomyr, Cherkasy and Chernihiv regions were subordinated to Kyivenergo District Power Office. Commissioning of the Kaniv Hydraulic Power Plant which reached its design capacity of 444 MW in 1975. The full reservoir capacity was 2.93 km and the useful one was 0.33 km. The design capacity of the Trypilska DRES reached 1,800 MW. Beginning of the construction of the Chernihiv DRES.

1974. A monoblock having the electric power of 250/300 MW and the thermal power of 330 Gcal/h was put into operation at Kyiv Heat and Power Plant No. 5 for the first time in the former USSR. Completion of the construction of the second stage of the Heat and Power Plant. During 1972-1974, the employees of Heat and Power Plant No. 5 made 400 labor-saving suggestions.

1975. 7 units having the total capacity of1 29.5 MW and 3 units having the total capacity of 55.5 MW were commissioned at the Kaniv Hydraulic Power Plant. The Plant reached the design capacity of 444 MW.

1976. A resolution was passed to build Heat and Power Plant No. 6 – a new source of the electric and thermal power. Kyiv Heat and Power Plant No. 5 reached the design capacity of 700 MW (electric) and 1,514 Gcal/h (thermal). Kyivenergo Production Power Office (PPO) was created on the basis of Kyivenergo District Power Office.

1977. Commissioning of 110 kV cable networks. Commissioning of the first power generating unit having the capacity of 1,000 MW and a RBMK1000 reactor at the Chornobyl Nuclear Power Station.

1981. Commissioning of the first power generating unit having the capacity of 250 MW at Kyiv Heat and Power Plant No. 6. KVUM 180 peak water-heating boilers were put into operation at Heat and Power Plant No. 6 for the first time in the former USSR.

1982. TGMP334 A boilers having manufacturer’s numbers 1 and 3 were commissioned at Heat and Power Plant No. 6 for the first time in the former USSR.

1983. First tests were conducted in the sphere of an automatic power consumption control.

1995. On September 28 Kyivenergo State-Owned Power Supply Company was created by virtue of Order of the Ministry of Energy of Ukraine No. 177 dated August 31, 1995. Being the capital local power system the Company integrates the functions of the generation, distribution and sale of electric and thermal power.

1998. Kyivenergo Power Supply Company was created on the basis of the Kyivenergo State-Owned Power Supply Company by virtue of a resolution of the General Meeting of Shareholders (Minutes No. 1/98 dated April 20, 1998). An agreement in the amount of USD 200 million was made with the International Bank of Reconstruction and Development (IBRD) in October 1998, for financing a project of rehabilitation and extension of the centralized thermal power supply to Kyiv.

2000. A 110/10 kV closed deep input substation styled “Center” with a 110 kV electric and gas distribution device 10 kV outgoing line vacuum switches was commissioned for the first time in Ukraine.

2002. One of the most state-of-the-art 330 kV switches was put into operation in the 330 kV distribution device at Heat and Power Plant No. 6.

2004. The construction of power generating unit No. 3 of Heat and Power Plant No. 6 was in progress. The TGV3202PUZ generator manufactured by Elektrovazhmash Research and Production Association, Kharkiv, is a novelty of the domestic industry.

2007. Completion of the performance of the Loan Agreement with the IBRD. In this period, 77 contracts were made in the amount of USD 171 million. In accordance with these contracts operations related to the completion of the construction of Pozniaky RK, the reconstruction of ST1 heating supply station, the construction and reconstruction of 110 kV ST1, Vokzalna and Solomianska electric power substations were performed.

2008. Commissioning of assets in the amount of UAH 159,718 thousand. The drawn funds allowed to perform operations relating to the reconstruction and modernization of the Company’s power facilities. In particular a retrofitting of the facilities of the Company’s main branches was accomplished and advanced technologies were introduced.




  © PR-Service of KYIVENERGO, 1999-2012